- 4 eggs
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup of shelled fresh peas
- ½ cup fava beans
- ¼ cup butter, divided
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup peeled artichoke hearts, cut in half
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup chopped mint, lightly packed
- ¼ cup chopped parsley, lightly packed
- ¼ cup chopped basil, lightly packed
- salt and pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and season liberally with salt.
Blanch the asparagus, peas, and favas for 1–2 minutes, or until they turn bright green and are cooked al dente. Immediately remove from heat, drain, and run cold water on them until they cool.
In a large pan (cast iron if possible) over medium heat, melt half of the butter with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Cook the artichoke hearts until they turn a light brown and are cooked through. Season with salt. Add the shallots and cook until they are soft and translucent.
To the pan, add the blanched vegetables, the remaining butter, and the lemon juice. Cook until all the vegetables are warmed through. Remove from heat, add the herbs, and divide between four plates.
Wipe out the cast-iron pan and place over medium-high heat. Warm the remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and crack the eggs into the pan. Fry until the whites are cooked and the yolks are still runny. Place one egg on top of each plate. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately, preferably with crusty bread.